I resisted this Ayurvedic trend for some time (on the silly grounds that it is, indeed, a trend)... but one rainy day, I decided to desist my resistance. I am glad that I did; I am convinced that this beverage is, elementally, one of the coziest things on the planet.
Besides being cozy, this sweet, lightly spiced drink is kind to your body: turmeric and ginger have numerous health benefits, particularly in fighting inflammation and relieving stomach upset. The recipe is gloriously simple, too...
RECIPE: VLGL Golden Milk
(serves one generously or two sparingly)
- 2 cups unsweetened, plant-based milk (I usually use almond or coconut)
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 cup sliced, fresh turmeric root
- 1 thick hunk of fresh ginger, about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide in diameter, also sliced
- 7 cardamom pods, gently cracked open
- 3 black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (plus a sprinkle for serving)
- * optional caffeinated variant: 1 tsp black tea leaves
- * optional sweetener: 1/2 teaspoon raw agave nectar for serving
- Place all ingredients except for the extra sprinkle of nutmeg and the agave nectar into a pot.
- Heat on medium until the mixture just begins to simmer. Turn the heat down to low, cover the pot about halfway with the lid, and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, or until the mixture is steeped to your liking.
- Strain into a big mug(s), stir in the agave nectar if using, and sprinkle with nutmeg.
Savor with love. I quite enjoy it with a hearty pile of VLGL chocolate chunk cookies...