low-glycemic avocado smoothie (summer simplicity)
However, as life and smoothies both benefit from a little sweetness, this creamy-dreamy concoction features another in-season treat, which happens to be my favorite fruit of the moment: the luscious nectarine. They are as juicy and decadent as a peach but boast smooth skin and smaller pits. Nectarines, like many "orchard fruits," have a low glycemic index and load, making them a better choice than most fruits to blend into a smoothie. However, as the blending process breaks down fiber in even low-glycemic fruit, this recipe keeps the quantity modest and balances the impact with the fat, protein, and extra fiber from the avocado, almonds, and spinach. The addition of fresh lemon juice serves to highlight the nectarine's tangy sweetness, and also adds a splash of Vitamin C. (If you are accustomed to very sugary smoothies, however, try adding a small pinch of pure stevia extract if this recipe is not sweet enough for your palate.)
The chilled green tea in this recipe provides beneficial antioxidants; if you choose to use jasmine green tea, as is my personal preference, you can enjoy the added benefit of stress-relieving therapeutic properties. This base recipe is also a great vehicle for superfood "power-ups" like powdered moringa leaf and maca root... But in the spirit of summer simplicity, I give you the recipe in its purest, most basic form, featuring only fresh, whole ingredients. I hope it brings you nourishment and pleasure in this season of bliss.
RECIPE: Low-Glycemic Avocado Smoothie
(makes one large serving)
- 1 1/4 cup brewed and chilled jasmine green tea
- 1/4 cup raw almonds (or almond butter if you do not have a strong, high-speed blender)
- 1 cup tightly-packed spinach leaves
- 1/2 a large, ripe avocado (ideally frozen)
- 1/2 a medium, ripe nectarine (also ideally frozen)
- Juice from 1/2 a medium lemon
- Optional but beneficial if not using frozen ingredients: 2 handfuls ice cubes
- Blend the green tea and almonds/almond butter until completely smooth.
- Add the spinach, avocado, nectarine, and lemon juice, and blend until the nectarine skin and spinach leaves have been completely incorporated. If using, add the ice cubes and blend until desired smoothness is reached.
Serve with summer love.