Not just for the magical mer-folk masses, this sea-green concoction is befitting of the ocean god himself. Coco-creamy, packed with wellness-boosting super-ingredients, and just a little sweet (but still low-glycemic), Poseidon's Smoothie is what I drink when I want to feel amazing all day.
I confess that I don't usually take the time to arrange my smoothies in bowl form (unless it's an açai bowl), but the unique ingredients here lend well to a lunar showcase, especially in honoring the relationship between the moon and the ocean's tides.
Every ingredient in this ocean potion is supportive of good health, from the antioxidant-rich blueberries to the vitamin C-packed honeydew, but the two superstars are undoubtedly the Virgin Islands moringa and the spirulina.
Moringa is a plant with edible seeds and leaves that grows widely in the Caribbean, as well as other tropical regions of the world. It has long been used in the Caribbean to treat a number of maladies, from inflammation to asthma and more (though for the sake of full disclosure, more studies are needed to confirm these benefits from an American medicine perspective). Moringa leaves are rich in protein, as well as vitamins A, B, and C, so embracing the nourishing wisdom of the islands, I incorporate my favorite moringa powder from Ras Ajamu of St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands into this decadent smoothie.
Spirulina is a blue-green algae rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, including B-complex vitamins, zinc, iron, selenium, beta-carotene, and more. Beyond providing numerous benefits for the body, it produces a delightful sea green color when used in smoothies and the like. Ocean magic, indeed!
As a final note before I share the spell for this magical potion, please take note that this smoothie may be a bit "hardcore" if you're used to super-sugary/fruit-forward smoothies... so keep an open mind and palate, and allow your senses to be surprised and delighted by this otherworldly, intensely nourishing concoction.
RECIPE: Poseidon's Smoothie
(makes one mega-smoothie)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, desiccated coconut (soak overnight if you have a weak blender)
- 1/4 cup raw almonds (soak overnight if you have a weak blender)
- 1 tablespoon raw hemp hearts (amazingly good for you, but they have a bit of a strong flavor, so if you're used to sweeter smoothies, reduce to a teaspoon or omit)
- 1 1/2 cups cold water (or 1/4 - 1/2 cup more if a less thick texture is desired)
- 3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup loosely packed spinach or baby kale leaves (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup raw honeydew melon
- 1/8 cup fresh mint leaves
- juice from one lime
- 2 teaspoons spirulina powder
- 1 teaspoon moringa leaf powder
- 1/2 cup ice (optional, but I strongly recommend it if your blueberries and/or greens are not frozen... this concoction is best served cold as the North Atlantic!)
- Blend the coconut, almonds, hemp hearts, and water on the highest speed your blender will allow until completely combined and creamy with no residual grit. This creates a nut "milk" base without sacrificing protein or fiber!
- Add all other ingredients and blend on a medium-high speed until smooth (but I recommend stopping before the ice is completely obliterated).
Serve immediately, and with love and gratitude to the ocean and all its gifts.